Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cakes for a Memorial Night


About two weeks ago (I'm so behind...) I went to the St. Clare's Orphanage Fire Memorial in Cavan. I'm on the committee and at one of the meetings whilst trying to organise the event, told the others I'd bake for it as some other women were making sandwiches and we'd have tea and coffee, so of course one would need some cake. I baked a bunch of cupcakes and made 2 cakes also. Needless to say they didn't last very long with near 400 people there on the night, but they went down very well! A lady asked me do I do wedding cakes... I said I don't and she said I should! Madness. They might taste nice, but I have an awful long way to go before I'm anywhere near that standard!:D

Here are some pics of the goodies! I made a plain buttercream sponge cake with Mini Smarties on top and in the bundt cake I added defrosted berries. You can get a great bag of them in Aldi and you just need to defrost them a few hours before you need them! Incredibly handy!:)

I also used a different buttercream recipe from
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook that I got one day in the library! Oh it's so incredible! It's American in style, such as recommending that you use what would be muffin cases over here for cupcakes, not the bun ones. They're much better that big as I see cupcakes as a dessert style food anyway, if they're decorated well and provide at least 4 mouthfuls:)

Vanilla Buttercream:
250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter at room temperature
25ml whole milk
a couple of drops of vanilla essence


-Cream it all together. I dare you to try and not eat this from the bowl with your fingers...

No comments:

Post a Comment